December has arrived, and with it all our plans for Christmas have started!
The Best Christmas plans in Barcelona 2019 include Christmas fairs, Christmas markets, concerts, nativity scenes, a circus and theme parks among the many festive things to do for families and children.
Best Christmas plans in Barcelona 2019
Barcelona is a perfect city to enjoy this time of the year because of many reasons, but also because of the perfect weather.
During December, Barcelona is usually chilly, sunny, crisp and clear, which makes the city perfect for Christmas shopping, tourism, and terraces during the day.
The average temperature is around 15C / 57 F degrees and it can drop to between 6 to 10C / 42F to 50F in the evening. This makes this city so enjoyable in this time of the year, compared to the rest of Europe.
In the Catalan language ‘Merry Christmas and Happy New Year’ is: ‘Bon Nadal i Feliç Any Nou’ And in Spanish language it’s ‘Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo’.
Even if the biggest Christmas celebrations are on the 5th and 6th of January with the arrival of the Three Kings, who bring presents for the children, In Barcelona and in Spain we celebrate Christmas Day on the 25th of December, like in many parts of the world.
During your visit to Barcelona you can enjoy the best Christmas plans in the city which are:
The Santa Claus Christmas event at the Poble Espanyol – Spanish Village on Montjuic hill from the 6th to the 8th of December 2019.
The Christmas festival held in Barcelona’s central square Plaça de Catalunya from December 21, to January 4, 2020.
The Santa Claus Christmas parade in the Sants neighborhood at 6 pm on Sunday 15th December 2019
Walk around to see the city lights. The Christmas lights are switched on at the end of November and stay on until the 6th January. There are Christmas lights at almost 400 locations and streets to cover a total distance of 100km.
Visit the fabulous Montjuic Magic Fountain, which is also part of the Barcelona Christmas lights with a special Christmas water and music display in December between 8pm and 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays in December and early January. The Magic fountain also stars in the Barcelona New Year countdown show.
Visit the Christmas tree on Plaça de Sant Jaume in the gothic area where you can also find the official Christmas nativity scene which changes every year.
Apart from all this activities you can also enjoy other Christmas activities with kids and family like:
- Enjoying Portaventura, a very big theme adventure park located 1 hour south of Barcelona. PortAventura World becomes a Christmas wonderland from mid November to the 8th of January, and is a very festive experience for children during a Christmas visit to Barcelona.
- Shopping in Barcelona. Don’t miss the Christmas La Nit del Passeig de Gràcia – Shopping night 2019 with live music and events on top shopping street Passeig de Gracia on 19th December. Many Barcelona city center shops and shopping malls in Barcelona will be open on the public holidays including all day or half day on the 24th, and many big stores will be open on all Sundays in December as part of the Barcelona Christmas shopping season.
- Visiting the Christmas markets! The oldest, biggest and most traditional of the Barcelona Christmas markets is La Fira de Santa Llúcia – in Spanish ‘Feria de Santa Lucia’ in the gothic area on the Avenida de la Catedral in front of Barcelona Cathedral in the gothic area of Barcelona.
Most stalls sell ‘figuritas de Belén’ which are the little figures to make your own crib scenes which are called ‘pessebres’.
There is also a stall selling the famous naughty ‘caganer’ Christmas “pooper” figure which Catalans love to include in their nativity scenes. Some other well known Christmas markets are:
- Fira de Nadal a la Sagrada Família
- Three Kings Fair
- Plaça de Catalunya Christmas fair
- Fira de Nadal de Sants
- La Ciutat dels Somnis
- Mercat de Nadal de Pedralbes
Come to Barcelona for Christmas and enjoy The Best Christmas plans in Barcelona 2019. If you are planning to come to Barcelona in this great time of the year book with our Youstylish apartments now, and enjoy the best apartments in the city!